Friday, July 30, 2010

Garmisch, Germany

**Friday Fill-In is posted below**

As you know already, I spent the week in Germisch, Germany as a chaperone for Summer Camp with the Youth Center. I love working there because I get to go on beautiful trips like this one. We had 23 youth join us, and everyone one of them were fantastic and listened well. It was about about a 5 hour drive there, and I finally got to sit in the front seat on the charter bus. [I am usually in the back, and get sick].

When we made it there, we unloaded and the kids picked their spot to sleep on the bunkbed of their choice. We stayed in a rustic cabin that held two big rooms. One held rows of bunkbeds and two shower rooms. The other room held an open area with tables lined up, a fire place, and a kitchen to cook in.

Once we were all settled, we got geared up to do a hike. Lately, I have had an interest in a hike, so I was pretty excited. The hike was pretty hard, I am not going to lie. We had plenty of the kids having a very rough time with it, but they didn't give up. It took a little over 3 hours to get to the top after we climbed around trees, walked through rivers, and cirlced up and up. The view was gorgeous the whole time we were walking. As I waited for youth to catch up, I snapped a picture.

At the top, this house was waiting for us on a gorgeous open pasture with sheep and cows wandering around. We stopped and ate here to regain our strength for the walk down. I ate some kind of macaroni meal with smoked ham and mushrooms in it. It was pretty tasty for being my first German meal.

On the second day, we split the kids up into two groups. One group went on a bike ride and the other group got to spend the morning downtown. Of course, I took the group that went downtown since I am not a strong bike rider. On the way there, we had to walk along the river. The scenery was so beautiful and peaceful. Here is a snapshot of me and my friend Nicole on the bridge crossing that river, and another one of the river.




Downtown made you feel like you were on the set of a movie. It was not like any other place I have ever been before. I love living in Italy, done get me wrong, but Germany was a dream. Italy is nasty and dirty, and Germany was clean and cared for details. Every building was created differently, and all had different features to make it unique. I got to go through many souvenier shops, and I got myself an old beer stein. I wanted a coo coo clock really badly, but they were quite expensive. I also got to enjoy a German lunch with my friend Nicole. We ate at this cute outdoor place and munched on bratwurst and sauerkraut. It was the first time I have ever tasted sauerkraut and it was pretty yummy. It had a pickle taste to it, and I love me some pickles.
Once we got back from downtown, we took the youth to a Ropes Course. I went, but did not participate. I am deathly afraid of heights, so my job was to wander the grounds checking on them and encouraging them along. They all did a great job, and couldn't believe how far they would go!

Since we were in the middle of no where in a rustic cabin. We would get woken up with a group of cows. They do not gate them in here like they do in the states [Shelby Farms]. Therefore, they just wander and wander eating grass. They have to have these bells around their necks so their owners can hear them So, it sounds like a bunch of wind chimes waking you up in the morning. The youth loved going up and petting them, and it made me want to try and milk a cow one day.

That night, we made a bonfire and grilled hot dogs and made smore's. I especially loved this part of the trip because I absolutely love bonfires. I like being able to put something on a stick, cook it, and then eat it...No mess to clean up. Also, I love being able to chill in my chair for hours getting warm and drinking some wine. [minus the wine on this trip : ( ]


We took the youth on a history tour this day, and I found it interesting because this is the only thing I really liked in history. This is the wall that contains the names that were killed in WWII. It was a very peaceful and respectful area.

At one point in the city, Americans came down and started to fight Hitler and his clan and rescued a group of Jews and took them away to a safe place. The Germans created a church on the top of the hill where the action took place to remember all the people who helped, but lost their lives that day. I wish I could have stayed to read everyone in the church, but didn't have enough time.



Around the church, the youth found a pretty awesome playground and we let them go have fun for awhile. And yes, I decided to have a little fun as well. Here I am going down the biggest slide I have ever seen!


That night we went to see Toy Story 3 in 3D. It was my first time to ever see a 3D movie, so I was all giddy. The movie was great, but totally geared more towards adults than kids. It also had a sad ending which I was not expecting. The next day, it was time to pack up and head on home. It was so nice to see my bed again, and see Jack running around. I would love to live in Germany if it didn't have the weather. It rains and snows a lot there, and those two are not my cup of tea. I asked Gregg this morning if we could move there, and he said "No way." Awe Man!!! lol. Well, until next time, later!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was an amazing trip....i think i'll make that place my vacation destination next year...

g

July 31, 2010 at 9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home