Saturday, December 26, 2009

A Day Full of Smiles and a Couple Tears

Okay, so today is December 26, and it was a great day..definitely "One for the books." I started off debating whether or not to leave the house to go get groceries that I desperately needed. However, something kept pulling me back into the recliner watching my skype screen and hoping. And was I ever in for the surprise of the month. Gregg signed in and we had our very first official webcam chat since he has been deployed. Last deployment, we did not even have the chance to have internet, so this deployment has definitely turned around for the better. I got to see my baby and he looked just the way I left him...tired. He has been on two patrols now, and today he hurt his ankle. I feel really bad, and wish I could be there to take care of it. Gregg needs more baby wipes, icyhot pads, AA batteries, and snacks if anyone would like to send a care package. I knew the chat would have to end eventually, but when it actually got there, I didn't handle it very well. I started to cry, and the rest of the afternoon was spent being angry. I was angry that my husband was taken from his wife and home to be put in a war zone. When I was in car, I was not able to listen to any cute preppy song, it all had to be dark. It got better once I got to the PX and went on a shopping spree buying Clearance Christmas decorations.

Today was Day 2 with the 2 Wives and a Cooking Addiction Marathon.
Dana and I are getting together every weekend to cook or bake something that is fun and tasty.
Last week, we just ordered pizza to start because we needed a lot of time to research about the book called The Joy of Cooking that we saw from the movie Julie and Julia. We also watched the movie Julie and Julia that night and I absolutely loved it. It is a true girl movie and something that brought me back to the old days of good comfort food. This weekend we were going to watch The Hangover, but we got to into our project. We first made Chicken Alfredo with bow tie pasta and it sure was yummy. If Gregg found out I was eating that, we would be extremely jealous. After dinner, the real project began...Dana has done one foundant cake before and she had a little bit of leftovers to do a miny one and I wanted to try it out, so she taught me tonight. It is a lot harder than it looks, but I am very proud of the finished product. I posted my step by step progress thanks to Dana's great photography skills!

Here I am putting the icing on the first layer of cake before the second one goes on.

Dana did a fantastic job doing this part of the cake...She was giving me step by step tips in order to put icing on a cake perfectly.

This is when I put yellow food coloring in the foundant and have to knead it over and over and over again.

Here I am rolling out the foundant into a very thin sheet. This is my first time to use a rolling pin, and it hurt my hands, and this step is very tricky.

Dana helped me put on the foundant and was giving me tips all the way. And, there I go starting to make my circles.

And the circles are being put on!

The finished product...TADA!!!!

I am so proud of Dana and I's work. I am taking it to work for the teens to enjoy. They are going to be super excited when they see this work of art! There will be more pictures posted on facebook for everyone to see.

Hey Gregg, what do you think? I am keeping busy...just like you wanted me to!


Signature

1 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Very cute! I am impressed, and I have always liked these cakes but had no idea they had a special name. I have learned something new today.

December 28, 2009 at 2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home